Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Ice Cream, Pie, Burgers, Butter and Other Super Healthy Stuff

I am severely depressed. I woke up this morning to no sun, no sand, no boat, jet ski, friends, fattening food, or free time. Reality is definitely a b*$@h.

I have a confession. I had an affair. I know I should not be blogging about this but it was so good I couldn't resist. I actually fell in love with two men on vacation. I could not help it. They wooed me. I still long for them. It was fun while it lasted Ben & Jerry.........I will miss your peanut buttery swirl, your gooey marshmallow drizzle, your caramely crunchy coated clusters.



Ice cream was not all that I cheated with this week. I gained four pounds on vacation. There was endless amounts of good food. There was a little vodka too, well, maybe a lot. All I know was there was lots of food and drink and no exercise. Unless you count resistance training from hanging on for dear life while my husband whipped across the sound at the speed of light.
One of the best things I had on vacation was a cheeseburger slider. I have to say I have never had such a delicious, juicy, flavorful burger. I had to know what Nick did to these guys to make them so good. I will not divulge his secrets but I will say it is much more simpler then you are thinking. I would just like to nationally recognize Nick for the best burger on the planet.  BRAVO my friend..
Of course I needed to make some kind of dessert or I would suffer withdrawals. I decided on an easy banana cream pie. Easy until I realized the only thing I had to whip my cream was an old school beater. You know the kind with the hand turn wheel that your great grandma used before the industrial revolution. Well, 35 minutes later(I guess this was exercise too) I had whipped cream for my pie. I got one of those shortbread crusts from the store, topped it with some melted chocolate and banana slices, vanilla pudding and the whipped cream. But what could we top it with??? Mikey and I tried several things but none would stand up to my visual needs. I mean jeez, you eat with your eyes first people! Then, it happened. Mike said the best thing he did all week......"I KNOW,  FROZEN TWIX!". I took the Twix from the freezer and crushed them up for one heck of a pie topping. I have realized on this vacation that I have some pretty amazing friends that have some pretty amazing culinary expertise.
I thought this pie would be my shining dessert star on this vacation. I ended up topping myself thanks to the Every Day with Rachael Ray mag. While browsing the magazine on the beach I came across a banana cigar recipe. About 2.5 hours after the pie I was peer pressured into concocting these guys.

They are wonton wrappers stuffed with Nutella and banana then bathed in a hot pan of butter and sugar. I felt like they needed a little sauce or something. My original thought was creme anglaise, but I was not about to whip that up at midnight after several cocktails. So, this time the culinary expertise came from the hubby. It made me so proud. He says, " why don't you just melt down some of the ice cream in the freezer"? I knew there was a reason we mesh so well! Dave loved them, he ended up eating more then his share of them.


Dave enjoying one of many sweet treats this week.

Michael never wanted to come home.


I did go running one morning. It is much better running with this as your backdrop.


Mikey, my bartender for the week.


Michael would live on the boat if he could. He wouldn't even get out when he was sea sick.


Nothing better then a second generation of best friends.


Does this need an explanation?


Another spot I ran by during my one moment of exercise.


One of my daily pix messages to Tracy.

We had so much fun on vacation that I cannot pack it all into one post.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<TO BE CONTINUED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>





BANANA CIGARS
From Everyday with Rachael Ray
adapted by Caaaaaaragh

8 egg roll wrappers
3 bananas sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
3 Tbsp Nutella ( or maybe a little more)
2 Tbsp melted butter( or way more)
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup vanilla ice cream, melted


With point of wrapper facing you, spread Nutella on wrapper and top with banana slices. Brush edges with butter and roll up like a burrito. Melt butter in a  nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place cigars in pan and sprinkle with sugar. Cook about four minutes a side. When you flip the cigar, sprinkle the other side with sugar. This will give it more of a caramelized flavor. Meanwhile, melt ice cream in microwave, about 30 seconds. To serve drizzle melted ice cream over the cigar.










1 comment:

  1. Lol, looks like someone had fun but I can relate school started for my kids this week so its been a shock to the system, thanks for the recipe too!

    ReplyDelete