Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

EATALY

This Sunday I got a chance to visit Vanessa in NYC. I go to see my bff, but mostly to eat my way through the city. There is always a stop at Pinkberry. If you have never been , google it, and make it a point to stop there ASAP. It's this wonderful little "frozen yogurt shop" with trendy toppings. My pick this time was a swirl of original(basically a vanilla) and pomegranate. The "topping master" will top your dish with whatever you want and how much you want. My choices this time were fruity pebbles, captain crunch, white chocolate yogurt chips, and milk chocolate shavings. >>>>>>>>>>>> sorry, I just had to pause to wipe my drool away.
Next we stopped a Sara Jane's pick, Greys Papaya. I love me a hot dog, but this one missed the boat for me. The dog itself was good, but the toppings were like canned kraut with a hot ketchup sauce. However, it was edible and on our eating route.
We continued on with our day, did a little shopping, of course a stop at Starbucks, and a visit to V's job.(VH1) She doesn't think this is as cool as the rest of us do. And then did dinner at Carmines. It's a family style restaurant with GINORMOUS and I am not sure I'm doing that term justice, portions. Me and V got a glass of wine, and Sara Jane a sangria. A cute little Guido waiter gave us the specials and we ordered them both.First out was the romaine salad with roasted vegetables, a dried ricotta cheese, and a creamy Italian dressing. Another, even cuter Guido, dropped off the salad and my jaw dropped when it had 4 heads of romaine on the plate. It was delish... perfectly roasted asparagus, carrots, and swirls of red onion all over, some juicy ripe tomatoes and just enough cheese to go around.  Next up was our pasta dish. I should start out by saying if you are watching your carbs, look away now.. The dish was piled high with a vegetable lasagna(not my fav part of the dish) a ravioli with a garlic cream sauce, a rotini bolognese, and a house made manicotti.. My fav was the ravioli, bursting with garlic flavor and just the right amount of cream. The manicotti was fresh blankets of pasta rolled around soft pillows of herbed ricotta. Amazing food, but we could have had two, or three more friends at the table. V ended up taking home what looked like a catering dish of pasta. (not so bad for my pasta addicted friend)
Our final stop was the new EATALY store on 5th ave. It was like the clouds parted and angles began to sing when the doors opened. First thing you see is a long aisle of fresh local produce. Some of your regulars, nectarines, grapes, etc,.. and some heirloom tomatoes, Japanese eggplant, and figs..It is basically an Italian emporium. This place has it ALL. a microbrewery with rooftop bar, a salumi,,,,cafe, pastry bar, bakery, gelato stand, pasta station, wine shop, restaurants and if i missed it and you are thinking it is there, it is. My fav was the salumi.. What's a salumi you say, it's pretty much a counter of cured meats. WHO DOESN'T LIKE CURED MEAT??? ribbons of prosciutto, the real stuff, not the domestic tastes like wax kind you get at stop and shop, salami, sopressata, speck ham.. ugh,,,, to die for.. I ended up bringing home some imported parm, some fruits, and some Italian cookies for the kid. Next time I have to go back on a slower day and browse the entire store.. Get some fresh pasta to take home, maybe some bakery pizza.
vanessa in Eataly. (check out her bag, its our leftovers from Carmines  haha)
All in all a great day, great food, great friends, what life is all about!!

No comments:

Post a Comment