Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Opened the Door, Plucked a few Leaves.....





         After all of my hot dogs and sno cones this weekend I was craving something home made(semi-home made) fresh, and delicious. When I grabbed a clementine from the fridge this morning its only companions were assorted condiment bottles and of course, Bud Lights, so I knew a quick stop at the store would be necessary. I hit up one of my favorite spots, Whole Foods. I love this place, I could shop just the first two aisles and spend a million dollars. I knew time would be limited so I grabbed some of their premade eggplant cutlets and TONS of fresh veggies.










make sure you pinch the flowers off the top of your basil or it will stop growing
 I also grabbed some of these guys on the way inside my house. I sliced them and threw them in the oven with the eggplant for about 20 minutes.  While the baking was going on I warmed up some sauce I had in the freezer, and cooked up some whole wheat pasta. Something was missing, hmmmmmmmm???? Ah, yes, some fresh basil! Good thing It is summer and I am growing everything I can in my two square feet outside.  Opened the door, plucked a few leaves, and completed my dinner!  It was delish, even the kid liked it. Best of all, it was only NINE Weight Watchers points! .

    

Well, 10 because I feel the need to eat a salad with every meal.
    




Semi-home made Saucy Eggplant

*4 pre-made eggplant cutlets
*1/2 lb whole wheat penne
* 2 cups tomato sauce(I make mine but San Marzano is a great bottled choice)
*8 cherry tomatoes, sliced
*Parmesan cheese
*4 basil leaves, chiffonade
(chiffonade is a fancy term for stacking the leaves, rolling them, and slicing them into ribbons)


Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Heat sauce in a small saucepan.  Spray sheet pan with olive oil. Scatter tomatoes on pan around eggplant cutlets. Cook for ten minutes, flip eggplant and cook another ten on other side. While eggplant and tomatoes are cooking, boil pasta according to direction on box. When tomatoes are cooked sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper and sea salt. Once eggplant is complete top with a spoonful of sauce and 3-4 cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with cheese and basil. Serve with pasta. AND OF COURSE SALAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment