Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

There are Creepy Things Down There!






I did absolutely no cooking this weekend. I attended a carnival, fireworks, two picnics, floated in a pool, and sat at the beach. Really, I had the weekend that people dream about.  My weekend of dreams started out with the annual town "extravaganza". This part of the weekend was not part of my dreams, but a certain 8 year old. I gave up a good three hours of pool time to attend this gathering of the delinquent townies. I did manage to eat my first of three sno cones this weekend. ( who doesn't love a sno cone) Someone else's dreams came true in the form of fried dough. Clearly, he has had enough of the "wait, I need to take a picture of that before you eat it" moments.  Finally, after 3 hours of carnival rides, slushies and fried dough, we got to hit up the pool.  This part of my weekend needs no words, please see below.
After the pool, the night went like this, wine for me, beer for him, brownie, hot dog, wine for me, beer for him. Throw in some good friends I haven't seen in ages, the cutest 4 1/2 lb. dog in the whole world, some great friends I saw three times last week, and one mediocre fireworks display.  
Sunday started early, well, early considering all the beer and wine the night before. Packed up a few coolers, water for me, of course beer for him, and we were off. Oh, I forgot the husbands special beach shirt. I have been trying for years now to take this shirt out of his wardrobe with no success. Maybe if I post his John Candy, Summer Rental photo on the Internet it will help.







 I love the beach, jet ski's, tubing, good friends, floating on a noodle in the water, and my tan! Yes, I did just say floating on a noodle in the water. I refuse to let me feet touch the bottom, there are creepy things down there. Well today, the creepy thing was on the beach. There was a, hmmm... how shall I put it, severely intoxicated man, that sounds good, severely intoxicated man on the beach. He tried to pay my friend to drive his jet ski. Then stumbled around the beach a bit until he decided to nap.  We decided to have a little fun with him.( See Verna behind him). This was a bit childish, but gosh darn it was it funny!!!
He was finally asked to leave by the police after a solid thirty minute nap.


Here is a good beach sandwich. Nice and light, easy to make, and keeps well in the cooler.



TBM Sandwiches

*Pesto sauce(you can get this bottled, make it fresh, or at the olive bar at Whole Foods)
*Plum tomatoes, sliced
*Roasted peppers( I roast my own, but the bottled kind works), sliced
*Ciabatta rolls
*Fresh mozzarella, sliced


Slice rolls in half. Spread about 1-2 tablespoons of pesto on one side of each  roll. Next, stack with tomatoes and mozzarella slices.  Top with about 3-4 slices of the roasted peppers.
I usually bring all the ingredients and prepare them at the beach but these will keep in a Ziploc bag in a cooler. Just be sure to have plenty of ice packs inside.

Variations
you can sub the pesto for fresh basil leaves.
you can drizzle some olive oil and/or balsamic vinegar on the sandwiches
you can use any tomato or bread you want
sprinkle a little fresh Parmesan cheese on them
sub pesto for roasted garlic
sub ciabatta for Italian bread.
The possibilities are endless.




No comments:

Post a Comment